Pages

Tuesday, January 26, 2010

Chilcot Inquiry: Iraq Invasion Had No 'Legal Basis in International Law'



Sir Michael, who was the most senior legal adviser at the Foreign Office at the time of the invasion, told the inquiry he disagreed with the advice of Lord Goldsmith, the former attorney general, that military intervention was lawful.

"I considered that the use of force against Iraq in March 2003 was contrary to international law," he said in a written statement.
"In my opinion, that use of force had not been authorised by the (United Nations) Security Council, and had no other basis in international law".'

Read more...

1 comment:

  1. Hi Andy,
    How was the lawful rebellion conference? I'd love to have gone.
    Anyway mate send me your email address, I done gone lost it!

    Cheers
    Dave
    ukwebspider@googlemail.com

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for your comment it is much appreciated.