Pages

Wednesday, October 29, 2008

Tamihere Is Sick Of Hearing About The Holocaust

Labour MP John Tamihere says he is "sick and tired of hearing how many Jews got gassed".

The comments - branded yesterday by the Jewish Council as "sickening" and "deeply shocking for all Jews" - were made in the same interview in which Mr Tamihere referred to Cabinet minister Chris Carter as a "tosser" and "queer" and Cabinet minister Steve Maharey as "smarmy".

They were released yesterday by Investigate magazine editor Ian Wishart after a spat with Mr Tamihere about the recording of the interview.

Alerted yesterday to the remark, Prime Minister Helen Clark said through a spokesman that while the government understood the pain the comment caused the Jewish community, she was certain Mr Tamihere meant no offence.

In the interview, Mr Tamihere is asked by Mr Wishart about how a society can be focused on injustices of the past. Mr Tamihere responds: "The Weisenthal Institute is the same. I'm sick and tired of hearing how many Jews got gassed, not because I'm not revolted by it - I am - or I'm not violated by it - I am - but because I already know that.

"How many times do I have to be told and made to feel guilty?"

Read more...

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for your comment it is much appreciated.