Friday, January 14, 2011

Winning Hearts and Minds: $100 Million Damage Reported in Kandahar

The US military has inflicted more than $100 million in damage to homes and farms in the southern Afghan province of Kandahar over the past six months, an Afghan commission says.

An Afghan presidential commission announced the new figure that highly contrasts a US military estimate of $1.4 million, The New York Times reported on Thursday.

Commission officials put the number of homes deliberately destroyed by US-led troops as high as 900.

Governor of Kandahar Tooryalai Wesa said homes and orchards had been destroyed because of "the heavy infestation of land mines in gardens, houses and main roads".'


No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for your comment it is much appreciated.