On Sunday, farmers banded together to drive around searching for hundreds of shaggy Icelandic horses, who panicked and got lost in a downpour of ash that turned day into night.
Icelandic President Olaf Ragnar Grimsson: "It's an important lesson for all of us"
"The risk is of fluoride poisoning if they breathe or eat too much," Berglind Hilmarsdottir, a dairy farmer from Nupur, told the AP news agency through a protective white dust mask.
The fluoride in the ash creates acid in the animals' stomachs, corroding the intestines and causing haemorrhages.
It also binds with calcium in the blood stream and after heavy exposure over a period of days makes bones frail, even causing teeth to crumble.'
And this is the stuff they want you to brush your teeth with and put into your drinking water - WAKE UP PEOPLE!!