Pages

Sunday, February 01, 2009

Biobank (UK) - Have you Got Your Letter Yet?

In my post today, I received an NHS marked envelope - inside were "invitations" to join a "National Medical research project" run by BioBank.

There was a bar code at the top of the letter with the words "participant ID" next to it, and my appointment has been set for 5th March 2009 1.20pm.

If I do not wish to participate, then I am to notify them in writing, and give reasons.

I am timetabled to take part in a 90min examination in which genetic material including blood, urine, are taken and various 'medical tests' performed etc. Lifestyle questions will also be asked. Their stated aim is to research into the prevention of cancer, heart disease, strokes etc.

Apparently it involves over 500,00 people aged between 40-69. (I'm nearer the 40 than the 69 by the way).There are huge implications to people holding DNA / gene info, and I am not confident that ethical issues would be understood, let alone taken care of.

Read more...

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for your comment it is much appreciated.