Pages

Sunday, February 22, 2009

Baby P Council Hired US College Kids to be £36,000 a year Social Workers

Inexperienced American college students, lured to British social service jobs with the promise of high salaries and a party lifestyle, are deciding which children should be taken away from their parents.

In many cases, the young recruits are making vital child protection decisions without a single day’s training in the UK. Many of the hundreds of workers making the trip boast they are coming here mainly to have a good time and admit they cannot cope with the pressures of their work.

Town hall chiefs – including those at Haringey in North London where Baby P scandalously died under the noses of social workers – have been so desperate to find staff that they turn to agencies to hire American students fresh out of college at salaries of up to £36,000 a year, nearly twice what they could earn in the US

Read more...

1 comment:

  1. Hello,
    I am a final year PR student at the University of Central Lancashire, UK and I'm am doing my dissertation on crisis communications online, focusing on the case of Baby P. My research is studying the different online methods that have been used to view / discuss the case.

    I have read the comments you have made regarding the case and wondered if you would be interested in filling out my questionnaire? If this is possible, please email me at QuestionnaireResults@live.com or visit my blog: http://fayesaville.wordpress.com to request a copy of the questionnaire. My blog has more info!

    Thank you very much, I really appreciate it.

    Best wishes,
    Faye.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for your comment it is much appreciated.