Pages

Friday, September 19, 2008

Banned by the goggle police: How Health and Safety has stopped a man swimming in his local pool after 30 years

He's been swimming all around the world and never caused a ripple of concern.
But Roland Grimm hadn't reckoned on the goggle police at his local pool.
His special mask stops water going up his nose and has a single eye piece which does not press against his face.
But now, almost inevitably, it has fallen foul of the 'elf and safety enforcers.
Their ban on his mask has left Mr Grimm, who has been swimming at the leisure centre in Swiss Cottage, North London, for 30 years, high and dry.
He said: 'I've used these goggles in more than 100 different pools in countries including Germany, Spain, France and Portugal and no one else has ever complained or questioned why I am using them.
'I'm not allowed to wear them here because they cover my nose. They just don't seem to like the shape of the frame.
'I'm very upset because it seems mad. I like to swim every day and this is messing up my whole life.'
But pool bosses defended their decision to eject Mr Grimm - declaring his goggles were not shatterproof and breached industry guidelines.

Read more...

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for your comment it is much appreciated.